Saturday, January 24, 2015

It’s getting to be late January and we are still in South Carolina. The question remains, will we ever get out of South Carolina? We have a PLAN. Can’t say which version, but it is well pass Plan F.


We have been staying at Huntington Beach State Park in Murrell’s Inlet just south of Myrtle Beach. It is a great place to stay for an extended time. We are camped under live oak trees and can hear the surf from our campsite.


We are close to a trail that winds its way through more live oaks and over sand dunes to the beach. We were able to get our campsite at half price by signing up for the Snowbird Special which is a 30-day stay. The price is right, the setting is beautiful, the campground is pretty quiet and peaceful, the beaches are a joy to walk on, and Murrell’s Inlet bills itself as the “Seafood Capital of South Carolina.” This is more than a trifecta.


One of our morning rituals is walking the beach at sunrise. Shannon’s brother had commented that we must be enjoying watching the sunrise over the ocean. This was at Christmas when we were at Waccamaw and hadn’t even seen the ocean at that point. So, we knew we had to take advantage of being close to the ocean and being able to watch the sunrises over the ocean. The state park is the perfect place to scratch sunrise-watching itches.


And when walking the beaches and the campground, I get to be with my two best buddies. So, life’s not too bad for an old man. Tuzi’s needs and desires, often two different things, gets us on our feet and moving. That’s a good thing. The campground is large and always has some interesting new rigs moving in and out. So, multiple walks daily around the campground also is a favorite activity. That’s about as complicated as I want to make life right now.


Updated medical report is overdue. Shannon was able to consult with the cardiologist who saw her while in the hospital. The meeting was cordial and informative (I also sat in on the meeting). As a result of that meeting she was scheduled to wear a heart monitor for 48 hours, which she is doing at this time. Her meds now seem to be regulating her heart beat, and she is not confident that the monitoring will show anything. That’s a good problem to have. The cardiologist did give her the go ahead to continue doing what we have been doing but with the recommendation that she sees a cardiologist at least yearly if not twice a year. There go my dreams of living off the grid for two years… She is scheduled to consult with the cardiologist in early February to discuss the results of her heart monitor.

I had another minor cutting on my right eye. This time it occurred in the eye doctor’s office rather than at a surgical office. Relaxing incisions were made in the cornea to address my astigmatism. The residual fuzziness from my earlier surgery went away. Close up vision has not been fixed, and so wearing cheaters will be the option I will chose in the short run. Now I’ll be careful not to laugh and make fun of people who fumble around to find their glasses when needing to read something. I’m one of them now. After all that has occurred to my eyes since being here, I can see much better than when I started this process, I no longer wear glasses full time. I have to see my eye guy on the 4th of February, and I plan to make it the last visit. If he says he can tweak it some more, I will say, “thanks, but no thanks.” We’re moving on.


Stay tuned for Plan Q. 

No comments:

We blew into Pendleton behind a Low that had moved off to the east, but the wind and moisture wrap around was with us the entire drive. We ...