Thursday, February 2, 2017


Groundhog Day. I understand Punxsutawney Phil saw his shadow despite the cloudy day in PA. Here in New Mexico where the sun shines 364 days a year, today was the 365th day and therefore cloudy. So, no shadow here today which means an early spring (YES!), and, oh, it also means 6 more weeks of bland blog posts. Oh well, we take the good with the bad.

I continue to heal from my cochlear implant surgery on the 25th. The swelling has pretty much gone down, my head is now more normal size, and semi’s on the Interstate can once again see to get around us. My head is still tender and sensitive on the left side, and I get some pain down my neck. But the pain is benign and progress is being made. I still only can sleep on my right side, and that is getting as hard as immediate recovery from surgery. I tried to turn over the other night and give my right side a break, and, oh my, the world went spinning. A quick flop onto my back and closing my eyes brought the room to a standstill. That freaked me out. I’ll continue to lay on my right side a little longer. And, sometimes in the morning I’m a little unsteady when I walk about. I wouldn't exactly say I walk like a drunken sailor, but perhaps I’m more like a landlubber walking on the deck of a ship during a blow.

I have two appointments to see the audiologist next week. She will “turn on” the processor, and we will start to see if this old man can detect any sound on the left side. After my second meeting with the audiologist, we are planning to head south to Bosque del Apache NWR where we were originally scheduled to be from March through June. We have an alternative plan, and we may be leaving Bosque the first of May. We’ll see how things go with my hearing and more importantly with Shannon’s health. More on our new plan maybe in my next bland post.

No comments:

We blew into Pendleton behind a Low that had moved off to the east, but the wind and moisture wrap around was with us the entire drive. We ...