Friday, February 10, 2017

Today the white legs came out. Lucky for you there will be no photos, ever, here or on FB. But it does feel good. The record high temp for ABQ on this date is 72, and we have a chance of setting a new record today. To better address this hot wether, we are planning to move south to Bosque del Apache NWR next Friday. We have three more medical interactions this coming week, and then we are busting out of this place, although we do love ABQ...

I am now wearing another type of processor although I still have and wear at times the one you see in the photo. The new processor does not fit behind the ear with a coil to the magnet. It's a disc with microphone, magnet, processor, and batteries as all one unit. It hangs on my head by just the magnet and a hair clip. And yes I do have enough hair that the hair clip actually is effective. It is suppose to be more discrete to address my vanity. That's important for me... It's thick enough that it is harder to fit a hat over it, but it has no cable which does not hinder eye glasses. Ah, the challenges in life.

I have now started to do sound exercises. When I saw the audiologist yesterday, she had three letter sounds on flash cards, and when she said the sounds, I could actually pick out the correct letter. Wow! You have no idea what that felt like. How about Christmas when you were about 7? Yah, that's close. I am using a software program called Angel Sound which has a host of sounds for me to identify. Yesterday I started with just the sounds of individual letters. The first round of 25, I got a score of 32%. THIRTY-TWO PERCENT!!! I got 0% in that ear before my cochlear implant. Today I tried words and I was getting 70 to 80% correct. The sounds are very different than normal speech and I am seeing the 4 word choices which gives me assistance in identifying the correct word. BUT I'M ACTUALLY UNDERSTANDING WORDS!!! Maybe there's hope for this old man yet.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That top photo of you reminds of a TV show of long ago....My Favorite Martian, are we auditioning for a remake?

We blew into Pendleton behind a Low that had moved off to the east, but the wind and moisture wrap around was with us the entire drive. We ...